Schedule an Event
Every effort has been made to positively identify each grave marker in the PCM graveyard. More than ¾'s of the markers were sufficiently legible to be identified. Reference to Mary Johnson Parker's 1931 compilation and mapping of the graveyard allowed identification of some of the remaining grave markers. For example, in the absence of legible names, the legibility of the name of a spouses, the date of death, or the age of the individual known to be interred within a given area made positive identification possible.
In a number of the remaining cases, there was nothing but a stub, an exfoliated redstone, or an illegible marble tablet eroded over the years by acid rain, i.e., subjected to sugar decay. In some of these cases, the marker's juxtaposition with respect to other markers previously mapped and identified by Parker allowed tentative identification with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Identifications using this method are specified in the Editorial Notes.
Nevertheless, many markers documented in earlier compilations could not be located in the current compilation. Interments documented by Vail which were not identified in the current compilation number 93 and are noted with a "V." Interments documented by Parker which were not identified in the current compilation number 47 and are noted "NL" followed by the segment number, which in the judgment of the current compiler is closest to the original location indicated on Parker's map.
No doubt some of the markers that are missing were the victim of accidental encroachments on the outer boundary of the graveyard as Morristown and the church itself grew. But, some reports of encroachment have proven to be unfounded. For many years, it was thought by some that the construction of buildings along Morris Street had resulted in disturbing grave sites along that boundary. Supporting evidence was the existence, at one time or another, of cemetery markers used as capstones atop a wall and as stepping stones leading to the rear of the properties. Reference to both 1868 and 1887 maps of Morristown, show these properties once were the place of business of H. H. Davis Marble Works. This suggests what was thought to be evidence of encroachment could have been the proprietor's attempt to put his stone cutters' mistakes to a useful purpose. Confirming this assumption was the recent discovery of a portion of a marker along the Morris Street boundary of the cemetery. On one side of the marker was the name of the deceased, and on the reverse, two rows of "abcd." Clearly someone had been practicing the stone cutter's art.
Finally, one individual, Margaret Mitchel,l deserves special mention. Her interment is assumed from remarks in The Combined Register, but there is no record of a location. Margaret is of particular interest, as she appears to have had the longest life of any of those interred in the graveyard. She died at age 103.