Then he said to her,"Your sins are forgiven."
In 1733, some members of the Presbyterian Church in Whippany decided to gather for worship as a congregation in West Hanover, (now Morristown.) Five years later, in 1738, this new church received a charter issued by King George II of England. In 1742, the congregation called the Reverend Timothy Johnes as pastor. During his Pastorate, the first church building was erected, enlarged and later used as a hospital when a smallpox epidemic broke out during the Revolutionary War. At about the same time, George Washington received the Sacrament of Holy Communion during an outdoor service. In 1794, during the closing years of Mr. Johnes' long ministry, a second, larger colonial structure was built.
By 1840, a social, theological and leadership controversy split the congregation. One faction left and founded the South Street Presbyterian Church in 1841. The congregation that remained on the Green became known as The First Church and built the Chapel in 1869 as a Session House and the existing Church on the Green in 1893-94.
During the early 1900's, a cooperation between the two congregations began to grow. In 1925, at the retirement of Dr. Bennett, pastor of The First Church, the two congregations joined together and formed The Presbyterian Church in Morristown. Dr. James Howard, pastor of the South Street Church led the reunited congregation as one congregation. Gathering thereafter as one congregation at the Church on the Green, the members established offices and educational facilities in the South Street building and, in 1948, renamed it the Parish House. In 1960, an Austin Organ was installed in the sanctuary of the Church on the Green and, in 1995, the organ was substantially enhanced. The organ now houses 3,370 pipes and 76 ranks.
Throughout its history, this congregation has demonstrated its concern for the community, both here and abroad, by establishing and funding organizations that provide care for people. This congregation has a rich history of worship, study and service to which God still calls us all. May that call also come to you.
Contact Us: firstname.lastname@example.org Church on the Green: Sanctuary, Chapel, Howard House - 57 East Park PlaceParish House: Offices, Education, Activities - 65 South Street (mailing address) Morristown, NJ 07960-4138Phone 973-538-1776 Fax 973-538-7879Directions